Friday, September 21, 2012

You've Got to Hank It

There is a part of me that gets little love on the Left Coast of California -- Christopher Rufo, country music fan. In fact, in the Bay Area, there isn't even a single country station on the radio.

So I've been pretty spoiled here in Montgomery, Alabama, which has a solid selection of country music radio stations. Plus, I was able to make the pilgrimage to one of country's holiest sites: the grave of Hank Williams.

My faithful tour guide was the director of the Capri Theater, Martin McCaffery. Martin was kind enough to take time out of his day to show me Hank's grave, the Hank Williams Museum (they've got the car where he took those pills!), Martin Luther King Jr.'s church, and the State Capitol.

Quite a fun trip, especially with Martin's irreverent take on the politics of Alabama. He had me laughing with his stories about going up against the mayor, governor, and state Supreme Court justices while working for the Alabama ACLU.

The show last night was great -- beautiful theater, enthusiastic crowd, and the AARP was a huge help promoting the event.

I'll leave you with a picture that's a kind of Wheel of Fortune puzzle. Like to buy a vowel?

No comments:

Post a Comment