Wednesday, May 02, 2012

"you don't know what I got" Visits ORANGEBURG, S.C.

 artist: Leonard Edward Cave

My visit to Orangeburg was the most surprising I had on tour.   I knew it would be interesting to screen in a planetarium and I was looking forward to staying  in a "local's" home instead of the sterile Holiday Inn Express But I had no idea... The films looked and sounded amazing in the Planetarium!  I would personally travel back to Orangeburg just to screen in that space.  I was also impressed with the students at  SCSU. They were engaged and asked great questions, not to mention the excellent introduction I was given by a fellow student. 



But my surprises were far from over.  After a reception my host Ellen Zisholtz,  the Museum Director and a Professor at SCSU, took me to a delicious Thai restaurant.  We were joined by her other house guests - a visiting artist for Atlanta Donna Jackson and her son from California.  They were in town for the La Biennale 2012 Exhibit at the Stanback. http://scsucrash.blogspot.com/2012/04/current-exhibition-la-biennale.html A fabulous collection of art including works by Donna and Ellen. 


The night continued, as we all went back to Ellen's home for a celebratory glass of champagne and I shared my last remaining "Gimme Jimmie Lemon Bars" with the group.   Southern hospitality oozed out of ever inch of Ellen's northern soul.  A transplant from the big apple/New Jersey she was a wonderful host and brought a very rich experience to my stay in Orangeburg, one I will not soon forget.


















No comments:

Post a Comment