Tuesday, March 20, 2012

GFTV: 3 things about Madison, Georgia

1. They just don't build auditoriums like the one at the Madison Morgan Cultural Center anymore. The building is beautifully restored, but the 350 + seat auditorium is the gem: a wood paneled, acoustically excellent old school auditorium built circa 1895. It was great to see the Himalayas projected on that school stage screen. Dina Glardon is the performance director and a gracious host, and she introduced the film.

2. The James Madison Hotel. When I walked into the building I actually asked the nice woman behind the counter when the building was constructed, thinking it was historic, but in fact it's only 5 years old. I stayed here at the suggestion of the folks at Madison Morgan and I'm glad I did. The whole hotel only has 17 rooms and it is very nicely done. I love to see a new building built to last, as if it expects one day to be on a historic register.

3. The Pizza Place across the street. I had noticed a lot of places to eat in town while walking around before the show, but I wasn't prepared for all of them to close before 10 p.m. and thought I'd go out for a quick late dinner after the show. I walked into two as they were stacking the chairs and was beginning to wonder what I was going to eat when I met my gastronomic saviors who made me a hot personal pan pie just before they also closed. Note to future film tourers: If it's Tuesday,eat before the show or go see the guys at The Pizza Place.

We had about 60 people watch the show, with great questions at the Q and A and conversation at the reception after the show. Madison has to go on the list of places I'd like to come back to, hopefully with another film one day. Tomorrow it's another day off before 3 shows in 3 days, starting in Orangeburg, SC. On the way to Orangeburg I plan to stop in Newberry, SC to do some shooting before heading to Columbia for the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment