Friday, March 23, 2012

From Orangeburg, SC to Gainesville, GA




Today was a day of driving, from Orangeburg, where we showed the film last night, to Gainesville, where we'll do it again tonight.

The show in Orangeburg was cool for several reasons. The film showed in the Stanback Planetarium and seeing on the curved dome screen gave the shots of the mountains in Northern Nepal a whole new scope and perspective. The students who attended the show were great: many didn't know where Nepal or Tibet were before the show, but the questions after were fun and smart.

I'd arrived early and spent over an hour walking through the Stanback Museum's current show - a Warhol retrospective that was VERY high quality and testimony to the curatorial skills of Ellen Zisholtz, who went the extra mile of giving me a place to sleep after the show, even though she had to get up early to take a group of museum curation students to Charleston first thing in the morning.

After leaving Orangeburg I headed toward Gainesville, but a conversation with my father reminded me that my aunt Norma lived along the way, so I stopped and had lunch with her and some friends at the Covenant Retirement community in Due West, SC. It turns out to be a good thing I did: Norma is moving back to California in a few months and it will be a lot harder to visit. Thanks for lunch, Norma!

No comments:

Post a Comment