Monday, October 25, 2010

Sheila Dvorak - Sheila falls in love with the Mississippi Delta





When I flew into the Mississippi Delta, I was captivated by the patchwork created by the fields below me. The magic of the place had just started to wash over me. After I landed, I drove across the Mississippi river and strolled by Lake Chicot in Arkansas, just so I could say I had been there too. It was beautiful and peaceful.

The next day I was off to the B.B. King Museum in Indianola. While the audience of local film makers, film lovers, and students enjoyed the film in the auditorium, I walked through the B.B..King Museum exhibits, and got caught up in learning the story of the legendary musician. The hour and a half film wasn't even enough time to soak in the whole exhibit, but duty called. Another engaging Q&A unfolded, and then our evening of Mississippi Delta blues fun began. A group from the audience joined me for a post film dinner with Erin and Laura who work for the museum at the Gin Mill restaurant, and then we all strolled over to the original juke joint, Club Ebony. There was a huge welcome banner for the Teach For America students to work in the area. Then we finished our evening at the Blue Biscuit where Stan Street, who I was surprised to learn is from Rochester, NY, and his blues band with Alfonso on Flute, Soprano Sax and "Big Dave" on guitar were tearing it up. As usual, I couldn't keep myself off the dance floor, and at one point I joined the band, rocking out on the fugal horn. My night in the Mississippi Delta was full of energy, enthusiasm, and local film maker Landry joined me the following day as I conducted an interview for my next film project, a documentary, with new friends Tiffany and Mark fans of Children of Invention I had made friends with the night before.

All in all, Mississippi exceeded my expectations in every way, and I am eagerly awaiting the next time I get to go back.

No comments:

Post a Comment