Friday, February 05, 2010

VISUAL ACOUSTICS: Southern Circuit Tour-Days 1 & 2



I haven't been to the South in almost twenty years. It is quite an honor to have this opportunity to tour the South and I have been excited about this trip since the day VISUAL ACOUSTICS was selected as part of the Southern Circuit Tour.

Day one began in Greenville S.C. at the Gunter Theatre. The theatre is an absolute gem of a space and both the theatre staff and audience definitely helped set the tone of what I was really looking forward to: genuine southern hospitality.

I was so impressed with the downtown area that I drove back in the morning to take a look at the falls before I headed out. The first image is the photo I took on Thursday morning.

Day two I left Greenville and headed to Baton Rouge, LA. Again, the screening took place in an extremely impressive space, the Manship Theatre. One thing that I realized about both the Manship and the Gunter is the effect the arts have on its surrounding communities. Audience members at both screenings commented on how thankful they are to have the opportunity to see independent films at these theaters. In addition, as a filmmaker, I am really thankful to have the opportunity to screen at such spaces as these and interact with such an engaged audience afterwards. I believe that a good film can start an ongoing conversation and that is what took place at both screenings thus far.

So, after the Manship screening, we had a reception in which I was able to meet a number of folks. Afterwards, I went outside and walked around the downtown Baton Rouge area. One of my favorite sites from last night's excursion is the old state capitol which is right outside the door of the theater. Nothing says "southern Gothic" more than this southern Gothic building with its relatively newly restored gates. The second picture above was taken with my iPhone.

So, have to wrap it up now and get on the road for day three of my Southern Odyssey. More to come.




No comments:

Post a Comment