Tuesday, April 14, 2009

The Tour is on...

I was extremely excited and quite impressed when I saw the Jule Collins Smith Museum of Fine Art rising above College Street in Auburn, Alabama. This would be the location for the first stop on my Southern Circuit tour and it was an extremely impressive introduction. When one thinks of a museum, and a modernly-designed one at that, the word "inviting" almost never comes to mind. And yet that is how I would describe it. Beautifully landscaped and well-designed, it is quite a venue that they have down here in Auburn.

To get to Auburn from Charlotte, NC required a rental car, two flights, three gate changes and an amazing voyage. I won't spend too much time on logistics except to say that the woman seated next to me on the plane had never flown before and our commuter flight encountered the end of the storm that has caused a great deal of havoc across Dixie these past few days. First flight plus high winds equals great theater. I believe I have my next documentary in mind, or at least a reality show: TURBULENCE. You get a group of people who've never flown before and you send them up in a small plane on a windy day with a camera crew.... Sorry, I digress.

Tonight's screening was a great deal of fun. The folks at Auburn, Scott Bishop in particular, were very kind. The Q&A after the screening was interesting. I found the audience was extremely knowledgeable about film both artistically and technically. "Did you shoot that on tape and bump it to film?" "The editing was layered." Near the end of the evening I was scanning the audience hoping to see another hand pop up. I didn't want it to end.

Tomorrow the circuit continues one state to the West. Baton Rouge here I come...

No comments:

Post a Comment