Saturday, March 21, 2015

Danielle Beverly from Old South visits Indie Memphis

Filmmaker Danielle Beverly of Old South:

My first stop on The Southern Circuit with Old South was Memphis TN. A dear pal paired me with her Aunt Bess to host me in her Southern memorabilia-filled home. I walked in and was greeted by Monique LeMannequin. Monique and I set a spell and I told her that I was excited to screen that evening hosted by the local film society Indie Memphis. Monique was a great listener, but didn't say much.


Aunt Bess was a gas. After ferrying me to the theatre to do a tech check with great Blu Ray projection at Malco's Studio on the Square, we then hit the town.

Flashback for vintage clothes, the zoo to see the pandas, The Stax Museum, and great food at a Mexican tapas joint across the street.

Stax was a personal mecca, as I worked for years in a record store. This was a meaningful opportunity to learn more about this important place, and the people who made its history, including Otis Redding who left us so young, but with an incredible catalog of music to enjoy forever.


The screening itself was wonderful. A goodly sized audience who had great shares and questions. We continued the conversation out in the lobby. One of my favorite reflections so far from the tour came from a man who offered his one sentence insight: "From kudzu to can do!" Might have to use that as the official logline. Or make t-shirts!




No comments:

Post a Comment