Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Jan Krawitz - New Iberia, LA

The latest update from filmmaker Jan Krawitz, touring her film Perfect Strangers on the Southern Circuit:

I decided to a different route back to the Lafayette area for my Monday night screening. Sunday was a day off and I had planned to explore the Creole Nature Trail that encompasses several national wildlife refuges within the southwest corner of the state.

Driving at a leisurely pace, I would stop for excursions along the various boardwalks that traverse sections of the area. But when I awoke on Sunday morning, the area was shrouded in fog with severely limited visibility so a change of plans was in order. The day was unseasonably cool and I drove through several dramatic rainstorms en route to Avery Island which is about 20 miles south of Lafayette. Fortunately, I arrived on the privately-owned island (home of the McIlhenny Tabasco Factory) after the rain had stopped and the day had transformed into a balmy, overcast one. After a brief tour of the factory (the assembly lines are in operation only Monday thru Thursday), I explored the Jungle Gardens which are maintained and operated by the family business.  This 170-acre garden offers a three-mile loop through natural marshes, man-made lagoons, beautifully landscaped areas, and a nesting area for egrets.

Since I had the time, I decided to leave the car behind and explore the trail on foot. As the SUV’s barreled past, I had the luxury of veering off the gravel road, and seeing things that would remain unnoticed at 25 miles an hour. I've included a photo….


No comments:

Post a Comment