Monday, November 18, 2013

John Beck: Madison

An update from John Beck, currently touring his film Harvest:

 When I told the crowd in Madison that their post-screening 5-station wine-and-cheese tasting was more extravagant than anything we've ever done when "Harvest" screened in Sonoma County, I think they thought I was joking.

Check out the killer tasting menu in Madison
Absolutely not - you think we had Peach Mead Gouda paired with Cline Cool Climate Pinot? Think again. We were lucky to get the wineries in the film to pour when it premiered at the Sonoma Film Festival.

Big thanks to Rebecca Bonas and the staff at the beautiful circa-1895 Madison Morgan Cultural Center, and to local wine purveyor Emily Garrison and cheesemonger Christel Green.

Surprise: Immigration (which is always lurking in the shadows in "Harvest") is a super hot-button topic in Georgia! We had healthy discussions both nights, but there was a moment during a post-screening one-on-one conversation where I briefly thought - what if they run me out of town tonight? where will I sleep?

Of course, I had nothing to worry about.

One of the highlights of the evening was meeting South Arts director Teresa Hollingsworth - she is the mastermind behind the Southern Circuit and, as far as I'm concerned, she's personally responsible for the most rewarding tour I've ever taken with any film.

And lastly, next time you're in Madison, don't miss the fried green tomato & bacon sandwich at the Chop House.

Looking forward to screening in a church tonight in Hapeville!

No comments:

Post a Comment