Tuesday, November 09, 2010

REPORTER -- first night

Carson-Newman College.

I flew into Knoxville, Tennessee from New York. Then a drive to Jefferson City, Tennessee. Pro-life billboards. Church after church. The diversity of America awes me. I went to college at the University of Georgia, and I've only been back to the southeast once since then.

We had a good screening on the beautiful campus of Carson-Newman. A very thoughtful and considerate group of students. Some film majors. A good amount of fire in their eyes about filmmaking, social issues, career-building. We talked Congo, warlords, Kristof, making a living, making your first film, etc. A few kids stayed after and asked more specific questions. Students always want advice about how to become a filmmaker. My answer is always: make a film, as cheaply as possible.

Now I'm at a lovely Bed & Breakfast -- The Minnis House. Highly recommended. Some warm conversation, mashed potatoes and lima beans. Cozy, cozy, cozy. Off to Georgia tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment