Sunday, October 10, 2010

Tina Mabry - Charleston, SC - College of Charleston

I left forty degree weather in Cullowhee and was thrown into a mild roast in Charleston. I've been looking forward to this screening since the tour schedule was released. The key hairstylist, her assistant stylist, and one of the actors live in the city. It's always nice to have cast and crew at a screening because not only do we get a mini-reunion, but they also get a chance to share the film with their family and friends.

I have a total of eleven screenings in twenty days and while I truly love my film, I can't see it that many times in such a short period of time. Because I had some Mississippi Damned family in the audience, I felt it I could sit out the screening and let them report the reactions back to me.

There was no silence to start the Q&A for this screening. Hands went up immediately. I had a gentlemen who is a social worker approach me after the official Q&A. He has four female clients who are going through the same situations as some of the characters in the film. He went on to say that this film would not only give them hope that they could overcome their hardships, but would also be a teaching tool to others in the field of social work. As he put it, "This film will say more than I ever could tell them."

After giving out more hugs, which I like giving by the way, it was time to celebrate with a nice dinner. I got details on the audience's reaction. Every laugh, every gasp, every sniffle was happily reported. Good news, good company, and a good dinner. Can't get much better than that.

No comments:

Post a Comment