Saturday, February 20, 2010

Smokey's Mobile Light Show




Fully caffeinated the next morning, I drive into the Smoky Mountains.  Jolene tells me where to turn.  I want to stop off at Toccoa - the birthplace of "the sepia Mae West," Ida Cox, who famously opined that wild women don't get the blues.  Jolene advises me to keep on straight, so I put the pedal to the metal, and cross on over into Georgia.

Every bend in the road reveals another pretty rural church; one even offers free nutritional advice:

"For a Christian, the best vitamin is B1."

Once we cross the border into North Carolina, antique shops hug the hilly highway.  Some of my favorite singers came down out of these mountains:  Rev. Gary Davis; Rev. Julius "Junie" Cheeks of the Sensational Nightingales; Ira Tucker of the Dixie Hummingbirds. I'm trying to make up for lost time when the silver car behind me suddenly starts flashing blue and white party lights.  


Uh-oh.

I've blown half my honorarium on a speeding ticket.  

Jolene doesn't say a word.

No comments:

Post a Comment