Thursday, September 17, 2009

DNWA in the villes…


The Customs House Museum in Clarksville, TN is yet another great community venue. The museum is partly housed in the original custom house that served as a location to levy taxes on the great amount of tobacco that was grown in the region before it headed out to all parts of the world. Now the Museum holds works of art, a theater and the most amazing interactive children’s exhibit. I must admit I had a good time playing with the huge bubble making toys in the basement.
We had another great screening with a lively Q&A. Joining the discussion was a guest panel that included a history professor and the local head of the NAACP. Both men enlightened the conversation with wit, humor and heart.
Greenville, SC…
As I approached the Peace center I could see a large crowd lining up outside and as I made my way into the theatre I was delighted to see that most of the 400 seats were already taken. The Peace Center’s Nancy Halverson introduced me to the panel that would participate in the post screening discussion. I settled into my seat and watched the whole movie and was glad that I did (most of the time I sneak out for a bit because I have seen it a bazillion times). It was great to hear and see the audience react to the film, but I was totally unprepared for the response when we took the stage as the credits rolled. Through the glare of the spotlight I could see that the entire sold out audience was on their feet, giving the film a standing ovation. It was a huge honor and rather emotional.
Needless to say that the film was well received with the crowd and panel engaged in yet another great discussion.
I can’t see how the experience of showing a film could be any better than it has been on this tour. Every venue and audience has been amazing!
Now on to Auburn, AL

1 comment:

  1. Sorry we didn't have a full house in Clarksville! Sorry so many people missed this great opportunity.

    ReplyDelete