Sunday, September 09, 2007

The South sets in.

Generally, I don’t have much to say about the last 25 hours. It was intensely personal, and I don’t even know how to articulate it. It would probably be better conveyed by banging rocks together.

The show though, was great. Beautiful place, great people. The woman from the Art and Humanities council drove 60 miles round trip to bring me shrimp gumbo and boudin (knowing I was from here). They sang happy birthday to me, and all was great. The local film group (that co-sponsored the show) was inspired. The Lake Area Film Group are a rag-tag group of filmmakers trying to make something happen in a town where there isn’t an awful lot going on. They’re very gutsy filmmakers and remind me of early Cinemaker Cooperative in Austin.

I came to Port Arthur after the screening, and I’m still here. I’m trying to decide how far I can get so that I don’t have a full day of driving tomorrow. Perhaps New Orleans just isn’t in the cards. I once again feel myself being sucked into the place, and should probably start moving. Then… Milsaps College in Jackson, MS.

Eric

2 comments:

  1. Eric, it was great getting to meet you in Lake Charles and hearing you discuss your films. Thanks for spending your birthday with us. Here's a link in case you'd like to see some photos from the screening -- including the one I took of you eating your shrimp gumbo:

    http://lakeareafilmgroup.com/blog/?p=74

    ReplyDelete
  2. These films were diverse in character and content. Each film had its own unique identity and type of film construction techniques (demonstrated and explained to the audience). Emotions were felt and related to ones personal experiences rather than the words or experiences of the filmmaker. A wonderful meaningful experience…. Good luck to Lake Charles and your future endeavors.

    ReplyDelete