Friday, September 07, 2007

Florida without the beach.

Hollywood Florida has turned out to be a little bit of a break from the traditional South. It's a charming little town with that specific weathered look of this part of the state. I showed at the Art and Culture center, which was a much more sophisticated crowd. It was a small crowd, but they were quite inquisitive and interested, with very nice questions. We had a bit of a melt down with the projection, which threw the rhythm of the whole evening off for me, and I'm sure, for them. There was a point where it seemed that it wasn't going to happen at all..... before any films were actually shown! A 30 minute wait futzing with technology, and they just sat there quite content. It was pretty impressive really. Then there was more waiting between the first and second films because of more problems. We got through it though, and by the end, I felt like we had really experienced something together.

The woman that was running the show took me out for drinks and food after the screening.... I think she felt awful about the whole thing, but then, I suppose thats the way it goes sometimes with screenings. At the bar, we had great conversation about art and life with an enigmatic bartender that literally is always smiling and laughing. It was a bit infectious.

I wish I could stay and walk the beach, but here I go again... off to Charleston. More planes, rental cars, driving directions and the like. I'm going to see if I can go by the house my parents lived in when I was born once I get to Charleston. This was a nice break, but now back to the "other" South.

No comments:

Post a Comment